About Me

My photo
Barbara Techel is the author of the multi-award winning Frankie, the Walk ‘N Roll Dog book series. When her dachshund, Frankie, suffered a spinal injury, Barbara had her custom-fitted for a wheelchair. Frankie persevered, and Barbara realized the beautiful opportunity she had to share Frankie and give others hope and inspiration to be the best they can be. Along with sharing Frankie’s story with children, Barbara and Frankie routinely volunteer as a therapy dog team at a local hospital, senior assisted facility, and hospice community, spreading joy wherever they go.

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Frankie's Hospital Visits






Question submitted by Erika, Age 9





How many times has Frankie made people in the hospital feel better?

I have lost count! Not only do I help the sick people feel better, but I also have made the staff feel better. They work hard and seeing me makes them feel less stress and puts a big smile on their faces. One day I was asked to visit ALL of the nurses and doctors who work at the hospital. They had a contest about which department could raise the most money for a worthwhile organization. The department that won was able to choose which therapy dog they wanted a visit from as their prize. They picked me and I was so honored!! I had my picture taken with every department (like the one above). It was so much fun! One of my favorite things to do when I visit the hospital is to first visit any kids that may be there. It is sometimes hard for little kids to understand why they have to be at the hospital. When they see me come rolling in the room they are no longer scared and they smile and giggle. I love leaving a copy of my book with them so they can read all about me... and that makes my heart feel all warm and fuzzy inside.






2 comments:

Bugbug said...

From the kids in Canada..You sure make everyone feel better Frankie! You are a very important doggie!

Barbara Techel said...

Awwww, shucks!

~Frankie