About Me

My photo
Barbara Techel is the author of the multi-award winning Frankie, the Walk ‘N Roll Dog book series. When her dachshund, Frankie, suffered a spinal injury, Barbara had her custom-fitted for a wheelchair. Frankie persevered, and Barbara realized the beautiful opportunity she had to share Frankie and give others hope and inspiration to be the best they can be. Along with sharing Frankie’s story with children, Barbara and Frankie routinely volunteer as a therapy dog team at a local hospital, senior assisted facility, and hospice community, spreading joy wherever they go.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Goodbye to My Friend, Sparkles the Fire Safety Dog

Share/Save/Bookmark


Today is a sad day.  My friend Sparkles went to the Rainbow Bridge, which is a place where all animals go to wait for their human and dog friends until it is their turn to join them.  I know she will be very happy there- playing and almost like a puppy again.  But I will miss her. 

I'll never forget when she visited me and my mom in Wisconsin this past April and she showed me the Elkhart Lake fire station and how the trucks worked.  It was fun going for a ride in the big red truck with Sparkles as the co-pilot!  I was also honored to share the fire safety message and helping those with disabilities and fire safety when we visited the elementary school in my hometown, and when we were the first dogs to Skype together to a school in Canada.

 Thank you for showing me the ropes at the fire station, Sparkles!

Sparkles' mom and my mom always thought it would be so pawsome if Sparkles and I were featured in a magazine together... what an honor to be in The American Dog magazine, winter 2010 issue with Sparkles.  My mom and I will forever treasure this.

Till I see you again, Sparkles, know I'll carry you in my heart always.  Thank you for being my dog-gone good friend.  Roll on!

1 comment:

A MilShelb Mom said...

We are sad to hear about your friend. :(
~Milly and Shelby