About Me

My photo
Barbara Techel is the author of the multi-award winning Frankie, the Walk ‘N Roll Dog book series. When her dachshund, Frankie, suffered a spinal injury, Barbara had her custom-fitted for a wheelchair. Frankie persevered, and Barbara realized the beautiful opportunity she had to share Frankie and give others hope and inspiration to be the best they can be. Along with sharing Frankie’s story with children, Barbara and Frankie routinely volunteer as a therapy dog team at a local hospital, senior assisted facility, and hospice community, spreading joy wherever they go.

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Special Needs Pet Feature: Shoshone


Securedownload
What is your pet's name? 
Shoshone.

How old is your pet? 
One year old.

Where did you get your pet? 
A breeder.

What is your pet's physical challenge? 
Born with multiple eye deformities that can cause glaucoma.  At the age of 4 months old, she got glaucoma in her left eye and it had to be removed to eliminate the pain she was having due to high eye pressure.  No eye pressure eye drops would bring down the eye pressure so the eye had to be removed.  She has the same problem in the right eye and at 6 months old she had a retinaplexy surgery done the the right eye to try to keep her retina from detaching.  She will probably lose the right eye in the future.  I am so devastated about this.

What is your pet's favorite thing to do? 
She loves to play with her sisters, play with her toys and take long naps on her daddy or my recliner.

What is your pet's favorite thing to eat? 
She loves her Benefil Chicken and Rice dog food, Milk Bone and chicken jerky treats.


What do you love most about your pet? 
She is precious, with a wonderful zest for life and is so gentle and loving toward people and other animals.

What has your pet most taught you? 
With all she has gone through, she is happy and full of life.  She has taught me that even though she has disabilities she makes the most out of life and enjoy it to the fullest.

Anything else you’d like to share? 
I just want to say that I love her with all my heart and will do anything I can for her to have a normal life, with some sight, for as long as I can.

 ***If you care for a special needs pet and would like your pet featured, please email me through my website contact. Send a photo and I will forward the questionnaire for your pet to be featured in an upcoming post.***


A Message From Frankie's Mom, Barbara Techel



My life changed for the better and my heart grew ten times it size when my dog, Frankie ruptured a disk and ended up in a doggie wheelchair.  That may sound odd, but it lead me to a calling that has brought me so much joy.

I love being an advocate for pets with special neeeds educating others that disabled pets are just as lovable as any other pet. I also feel so blessed to help kids of all ages see their challenges in a positive way through Frankie's example. Frankie is an incredbile gift not only in my life, but she has helped thousands of children through the book series about her, as well as the visits we do to schools in WI and schools across the US and Canada via Skype.

Sharing other pets with special needs expands on the message that all animals deserve a chance. Sharing these pets helps to spread a positive message and every time I meet a new special needs pet I feel my heart grow even bigger.  I hope it does the same for you and you pass on the love.

Learn more about Barbara and her love of special needs pets


Learn more about Barbara's special needs pet, Frankie the Walk 'N Roll Dog


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: